Search near you:
This salad has featured on our menus every year at this time. My dear friend Anna Laming invited my family to enjoy real Greek Cookery for the first time. Simple beautiful flavour combinations and respecting the ingredients is what I learned from the experience. This dish is dedicated to Anna and is our most popular salad to date. The tomatoes we use are called Heritage. Clyde Valley Tomatoes are producing very agreeable varieties too.
• Twelve assorted Heritage Tomatoes cut into wedges
• One Cucumber cut into cubes
• 80gms Greek Black Olives pitted
• Half a Watermelon cut into cubes
• 200gms block of feta Cheese cut into cubes
• 1 lemon (juiced)
• 1 pinch of chilli flakes
• 60 gms picked Mint, Basil & Oregano 100mls of Olive Oil & seasoning
• 200gms prepared Squid
To Make the Olive Salt
• Simply chop or blend the olives with a spoonful of Sea salt & allow to dry overnight.
To Make Tomato Ketchup
Ingredients: makes 1ltr
• 1.5kg Tomato
• 1 Red Onions
• 3 Garlic Cloves
• 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 150ml Red Wine Vinegar
To Prepare the Squid
1. Remove the body from the tentacles.
2. Cut off the tentacles & remove the beak.
3. Run your finger under the membrane & remove the wings, scrape clean
4. Remove the quill from the body.
5. Cut the body down one side and open up.
6. Wash well then scrape off any membrane & score in the inside of the squid to tenderise.
• Heat up a heavy based non stick griddle or Sauté pan.
• Brush the squid in olive oil,sprinkle of olive salt & pepper & chilli flakes.
• Place the Squid scored side down along with tentacles into the pan.
• When you turn the squid it will curl up into a cylinder, cook for a further minute then
remove from the pan.
• For the salad, mix together the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon & Feta. Add a little lemon
juice, chilli flakes and olive oil and mix lightly. Now add half of the mixed herbs to the
salad. Adjust seasoning to suit.
To Make Tomato Ketchup:
1. Sweat the Onion & Garlic until soft.
2. Tie the cinnamon, bay leaf and peppercorns in a muslin.
3. Add to the pan then add tomatoes.
4. Cook for 20 minutes.
5. Add Vinegar and cook until Ketchup consistency.
Divide the salad between four plates. With a squeeze bottle add 5-6 drops of Tomato Ketchup on the plate around the salad. Slice the squid into pretty little rings & arrange on the salad. Sprinkle with olive oil, olive salt & lemon juice & the remaining herbs.
You can watch and follow along with a video this recipe being prepared.
Search near you:
Copyright © ForCooks 2014
ForCooks Limited. Registered office 7-8 Burdon Drive, North West Industrial Estate, Peterlee, Co. Durham SR8 2JH, Registered in England.
Company registration number 9876543VAT no. GB123456789