Search near you:
This is a very popular dish at The PIpe and Glass. You can serve this as a starter or main dish, just use two fillets of mackerel for a main course portion.
* 4 mackerel fillets
* 2kg of fresh mussels (de bearded)
* 2 carrots peeled
* 1/2 celeriac peeled
* 2 large potatoes peeled
* 400ml white wine
* 2 shallots finely sliced
* 200ml double cream
* 1 tbls mild curry powder
* 2 parsnips
* Oil for deep frying
* Ground cumin
* Fresh coriander
* Coriander cress (optional)
* 1 lime
1. Place a large saucepan on the heat and when red hot add the sliced shallots, fresh
mussels and white wine, place a tight fitting lid and cook until the mussels start to open.
2. Remove from the heat and strain the cooking juices into another saucepan.
3. Let the mussels cool and then take all the meat out of the shells and reserve.
4. Finely dice the celeriac, carrot and potato and place in mussel cooking juice, return to heat
and cook the vegetables until al dente, by this time the juices should have reduced by 1/2,
add the cream and curry powder and bring to the boil.
5. Peel the parsnip into long strips and place the strips a few at a time into a deep fat fryer
until golden and crispy and then remove onto kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little salt
and ground cumin, place to one side.
6. Meanwhile brush the mackerel fillets with a little rapeseed oil and season with sea salt
and freshly ground white pepper, place on a tray skin side up and grill until the skin is
crispy, remove from the grill and rest for a couple of minutes and the residual heat
will cook the fillets through.
7. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime.
8. Add the mussel meat back to the creamed curry broth and heat back through, finish
the sauce with some chopped fresh coriander.
9. Spoon the mussel broth into a bowl and place the mackerel fillet on top and finish
with the parsnip crisps and coriander cress if using.
You can watch and follow along with a video this recipe being prepared.
Search near you:
Copyright © ForCooks 2014
ForCooks Limited. Registered office 7-8 Burdon Drive, North West Industrial Estate, Peterlee, Co. Durham SR8 2JH, Registered in England.
Company registration number 9876543VAT no. GB123456789